Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Why is Protein Good for Us?


As a ritual wieght lifter it is important for me to take protein. Proteins are the basic units of the body which are required for nutrition, growth and repair, and affect a huge number of metabolic, enzyme and chemical processes that occur inside the body. Protein consists of smaller units called amino acids, which link together in a variety of differing combinations to perform different functions. Some amino acid chains are created by the body, but some essential amino acids must come from food.


A good question is how much protein should you be taking? If you are taking nutritious protein, low in saturated fat, you can eat anything between 10 and 20 percent of your calories in the form of protein, although females should not eat less than 45g of protein and males should not eat less thatn 55.5g. Even though i do take protein shakes, I know that eating a variety of foods every day is all you need to do in order to ensure an adequate protein intake.

2 comments:

  1. I think protein is a very good and safe supplement to take after working out. I feel that when I take protein my muscles dont get sore as opposed to when I dont take it my muscles are extreamly sore. I had a freind who was very into weight lifting and always at the gym that actually got sick from too much protein intake. He actually had to spend a few days in the hospital because he basically was overdosing on protein.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Eric too much protein is bad for you, well too much of anything at that. If you take the recommend amount of protein, depending on your body weight than your muscle will recover as they should. I am a big believer on protein but you don't have to buy the GNC stuff a good old cup of chocolate milk has protein and the carbs you need for after a good lift.

    ReplyDelete