Thursday, April 16, 2009

Stress


I know that this has been emphasized before, but i would realy like to talk about it since the semester is coming to an end. I know i have been very stressed with the amount of work i have to do and it has deffinately affected my health.


So what is stress? Stress is a normal physical response to events that make you feel threatened or upset your balance in some way. There is a stress reponse which is you body's fight or flight response. This is the body's way of protecting itself. When this response works properly, it helps you stay focused, energetic, and alert. In emergency situations, stress can help you by giving you extra strength to defend yourself. One example is when you to slam on the brakes to avoid an accident. The stress response also helps you rise to meet challenges. So this is why you are more aware when you have a presentation or are more focused during the end of close game. But beyond a certain point, stress stops being helpful and starts causing major damage to your health, your mood, your productivity, your relationships, and your quality of life. Long-term exposure to stress can lead to serious health problems. Chronic stress disrupts nearly every system in your body. Health problems such as:

-raise blood pressure

-suppress the immune system

-increase the risk of heart attack and stroke

-contribute to infertility

-speed up the aging process


Long-term stress can even rewire the brain, leaving you more vulnerable to anxiety and depression. Also too much stress can be bad. The amount of stress differs from person to person. People react differently to too much stress. Your ability to tolerate stress depends on many factors, including the quality of your relationships, your general outlook on life, your emotional intelligence, and genetics. Overall stress is never really a good thing.

3 comments:

  1. I would most certainly have to agree. This is why I always suggest people find an outlet, something that makes them happy. If the person is up to it i also very highly recommend yoga and meditation. I can always tell when I'm reaching my stress max because i become short with people, which is outside my normal personality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try not to let my responsibilities pile up around me. That is my best way of reducing stress is to keep an open minde and plan accordingly. But it is nearing the end of the semester and I notice that I tend to break out even though I do not feel as stressed as I think I am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You bring up alow of good points about stress. Some of the things you mention people might not even normally think about but they are the early signs of stress and if they recognize that then they can adjust accordingly.

    ReplyDelete